A youth has been jailed for five weeks after repeatedly terrorising the residents of a seaside resort in Devon.
Back in December last year, DevonLive reported on a ‘pack’ of five youths who terrorised Teignmouth had been punished by police.
The youths, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were slapped with civil injunctions after attacking innocent people, intimidating members of the public, acting with a ‘pack’ mentality and using threatening and abusive behaviour on a regular basis.
Now, police in Teignmouth say one of the group has been jailed for five weeks after repeatedly breaching the injunction.
On Facebook, a a spokesperson for Teignmouth and Dawlish Police, said: “Further to our original post regarding the granting of civil injunctions, we can now report that following several breaches by one individual in the group (including two in 24hrs), he has now been sentenced to a five week custodial sentence.
“This shows the strength civil injunctions hold and that any breaches are dealt with robustly.”
The orders were issued with the following conditions:
- Not to associate together in both public and private places.
- Not to use abusive language and engage in anti-social behaviour, threatening or violent behaviour or engaging others to do so.
- Three of the five individuals are also prevented from entering the town of Teignmouth.
At the time they were issued, PC Matt Jacques, neighbourhood beat manager for Teignmouth, said: “We identified that the youths in question were responsible for a significant level of anti-social behaviour and disorder in Teignmouth over the past two years.
“The orders are the culmination of the police and public working together to provide sufficient evidence for them to be issued.
“The orders last for 12 months and show the type of behaviour in Teignmouth that will not be tolerated. They have also been issued with a power of arrest and any breaches of the orders will be dealt with robustly.”
Devon and Cornwall Police force legal representative Ashley Williams added: “We have worked with local officers and partner agencies to bring these orders to fruition.
“They send a strong message to the community and show that the police will deal with disorderly behaviour effectively.”
Teignmouth’s new mayor, Peter Williams was delighted with the outcome of the court process.
You can stay up-to-date on the top news near you with DevonLive’s FREE newsletters – find out more about our range of daily and weekly bulletins and sign up here or enter your email address at the top of the page.
He said: “This is really positive for the residents of Teignmouth and allows locals to feel safer here.
“It is also good news for the traders in Teignmouth who saw businesses affected by the behaviour of this group.”
The orders run from until October 29, 2021, and can be extended.