Up to 15 dogs are thought to have become poorly after eating what is thought to be the remains of a cannabis plant dumped in an Exeter park.

One dog walker found the remains in Priory Park in Exeter, including fabric matter and bare-root plants.

The resident’s pet later fell ill after apparently eating the substance, and the owner later contacted online groups along with the police, environmental health and council to raise the issue.

The dog owner believes as many as 15 dogs in Exeter have fallen ill after eating the plant, with one having costly life-saving surgery as a result.



Some of the substances that the dogs ingested

The other dogs are all said to have had emergency vet appointments after suffering from dizziness, loss of balance, sickness, respiratory problems, obstruction and incontinence.

The dog owner said: “I think it was about Friday morning I noticed it, it was more towards the train track. We saw some sort of insulation, plastic netting, and other things.

“The dogs didn’t notice it at first but over the next few days, they went downhill one by one and were admitted to the emergency vets because they were ill. A few different vets across the city came to the conclusion that it was cannabis poisoning.

“I know one dog had to be operated on as it was a Labrador and ate too much of it. Our dog was one that suffered but luckily was ill for around eight hours, some dogs were admitted overnight.”

What do you think about lockdown 3.0? Let us know in our survey here.

“I think the council told everyone to leave it (the cannabis remains) alone, but myself along with other dog walkers cleared up as much as we can, but there is still a bit towards the train tracks.

“In total 15 dogs that we know of were affected, it must be something to do with the smell.”

Posters have been put up in the area to warn dog owners along with people with small children to keep an eye on what they pick up in the park.





Source link