A family from Devon who lost everything in a devastating house fire last year, have thanked the community for their incredible generosity.

Last year days before Christmas, Chudleigh couple Jay and Linda Dickin – along with their one-year-old boy Ezra – received the heartbreaking news that much of their home and possessions had been destroyed in a terrible fire.

Fire fighters called the family at around 3.30pm on December 22 after putting out the blaze.

The family who have lived in a Torquay rental property for the last 11 months whilst builders restored the fire damaged property, moved back into their Chudleigh home just this month.

Linda said: ”The fire was caused by our Hotpoint washing machine. We had nothing as the fire destroyed everything.

Linda, Jay and Ezra

”My boss set up a donation page which was incredible and raised around £4,000. The money was spent on the basics for all of us.

”A donation station was set up and so many people donated such incredible things, including toys for Ezra and clothes.”

In a recent post on social media, Jay has shown his appreciation to all members of the community who continued to support the family.

Picture of the washing machine that caught fire at the Dickin’s home in Chedleigh, Devon

He wrote: ”Hello, you may remember my family from last year after we had a house fire. It has been a long time coming but we moved back into our home last week.

”I really wanted to thank everyone for their incredible support.

”The response from the people of Chudleigh was just heart-warming and it’s difficult to put into words how much we appreciate all of the little and the big things that people did.

Want to hear more from Devon Live? Sign up to our FREE newsletters here.

The family moved back into the property this month

”Please if you see us around, stop and say hello.

”We feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful and welcoming town.”





Source link